03 Jun 2017
In contemporary time, Earth is plagued by a lot of environmental hazards and if necessary steps are not taken on time, life would soon cease to exist in this Planet. To protect and preserve our Planet for the future generations, we need to use its natural resources wisely. Let us pledge for a beautiful and green Assam and do our part in saving the environment.
The Green Tips
- Switch from CFl Bulbs to Energy Efficient LED Light Bulbs:LED lights uses 82% less energy than a CFL bulb and helps decreasing green house gas emissions. LED’s are mercury free, lasts longer than CFL bulbs and generates less heat compared to traditional lighting. Solar lights, a renewable and pollution free alternative can also be used to curb harmful emissions. Always remember the golden rule of flipping the lights off whenever you leave the room.
- Go Paperless, Go Digital:Going digital helps in reducing excess paper waste and save trees. Use paperless options for bills, print and write on both sides of the paper, send big files in PDF format, replace sticky notes and notepads with whiteboards to reduce the impact on our trees.
- Conserve Water, Gift a Life: To protect our planet and reduce energy consumption, we need to save water. Since only 1% of the Earth’s water is available for drinking, we must learn to use it wisely. Turning off the tap while brushing teeth or washing clothes, practising rain water harvesting, using a low flush toilet, etc are some of the ways to conserve water and save life.
- Reduce Toxic Waste in Water Bodies: Untreated sewage, agricultural runoff, chemical wastes from industries, overfishing and toxic plastic waste has been posing a continuous threat to the water bodies and life underwater. It is our responsibility to rid the rivers here of its toxic waste and protect our water bodies from chemical waste contamination.
- Save Trees, Save Earth – We cannot survive without oxygen and trees are crucial for our existence. On average, one tree produces nearly 117 kg of oxygen each year. Two mature trees can provide enough oxygen for a family of four. Trees provides food, cleans water and air, combats climate change, keeps the temperature cool by releasing water vapour into the air through their leaves, prevents soil erosion, helps wildlife habitat among several benefits.
- Cycle More, Drive Less– Vehicles burning off petrol and diesel thereby releasing carbon dioxide in the environment is greatly responsible for causing global warming. To reduce the emission of C02 in the air, take up cycling instead of a car for covering shorter distances. Use alternatives like battery driven vehicles, CNG as an automotive fuel, carpooling, etc.
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle:One of the best ways to eliminate waste and protect our environment is to practise the 3R’s i.e. reduce, reuse and recycle. Practising the 3R’s helps in saving energy and preserving the natural resources of the Planet for future generations. Keeping two separate dustbins for degradable and non – degradable products, purchasing reusable items over disposable ones, donating used items to the homeless, etc. go a long way in enabling waste management, controlling pollution and being environmentally aware citizens.
- Dispose Plastic Bags for Natural & Eco-friendly Alternatives: Plastic bags and plastic waste are one of the greatest contributors in polluting our rivers and causing artificial floods. Substitute plastic bags for reusable bags such as jute bags and cloth bags to reduce water pollution and save riverine life.
- Volunteer– Organising frequent volunteer cleanups and community awareness programmes for promoting a greener world would ensure a proactive mindset among the people to work towards protecting our environment.