Winner Announcement Blog for Sustainable Campus Challenge
MyGov. Ladakh organized a “Sustainable Campus Challenge, 2023” contest by the Department of Higher Education, UT Ladakh with an aim to promote sustainability on campus covering topics viz Energy Conservation, Waste Reduction, Sustainable Transportation, Sustainable Food, Water Conservation & Biodiversity preservation for the students of the University of Ladakh and constituent Colleges, Polytechnic Colleges, CIBS, and ITIs of both Leh and Kargil districts.
“Sustainable Campus Challenge” was hosted on the MyGov https://ladakh.mygov.in/ platform from 7th-15th April 2023.
A total of 42 entries were received for the contest and after proper evaluation by the selection committee, the position holders were declared as follows and awards were presented during the inaugural session of the Y20 Pre-Summit under G20 India’s Presidency held at Leh on 27th April 2023:
– The Winner’s trophy was awarded to a team of four girls namely Farzana, Sayeeda Bano, Asiya Batool, and Kaneez Fatima from Government Degree College, Kargil for their proposed project “Recycle, Reduce & Reuse; Stationery Waste Management System in College”.
– There was a tie for the Runner’s Up position that was begged by two individual participants, Zulfikar Ali of Elizer Joldan Memorial College (EJM), Leh for his project titled “From Waste to Wow: Building a Greener & Happier Campus through Waste-to-Value Solutions” and Murtaza Ali of ITI, Kargil for his project title “Waste Reduction; Bottligation”.
– The third position was awarded to a team of four girls namely Tohira Banoo, Tahira Banoo, Tashi Dolkar, and Shahar Banoo from the University of Ladakh, Kargil Campus for their project proposal titled “Promoting Sustainable Behaviours through Vermicomposting; A Campus Initiative”.
– The fourth position was begged by Ghulam Mehdi, Mumtaz Ali, Manzoor Hussain, and Najuma Fazilat of GDC, Kargil for their proposal titled “Peltier Module for warm classrooms, offices”.
– The fifth position was begged by Riyaz Ahmad, a student of M.Sc. 2nd Semester, Kargil Campus, University of Ladakh for his project title, “Clean Water, Renewable Energy: Solar Distillation for Waste Water Management”.
– Under Special Mention, the Certificate of Appreciation was awarded to the team students from ITI, Leh comprising Zubair Ahemad, Sonam Angmo, Fazilath Kousar, and Stanzin Angmo for their proposed project titled, “Heating Building by the Reflection of Sunrays”.
About the Winner’s Trophy:
The winner’s trophy is a piece of art that has been crafted using about 5 kgs of copper, iron, and brass waste taking its inspiration from the sturdy Juniper tree, known as Shukpa in Ladakh.
About the Artist:
Sculptor Tsering Gurmet Kungyam is renowned for his artistic precision and has the notable sculpture of King Singe Namgyal to his credit. For his numerous artistic contributions, he received the State Award, in 2021. Keeping in consideration the theme of sustainability he has crafted the Winner’s Trophy for reusing waste materials.
We appreciate the efforts of all the participants and thank them for their overwhelming interest and keenness in participating in the above competition and making it a great success and hope to look forward to greater participation in future contests too.