YOUR ‘STATE’ OF HAPPINESS MATTERS IN MADHYA PRADESH
It matters how happy people are in Madhya Pradesh.
A person’s income counts for life satisfaction, but only in a limited way. What matters more is community trust, work-life balance, inner happiness, quality of governance and quality of life.
In August 2016, the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh (MP) started a novel ‘happiness department‘ for helping citizens to remain happy.
The institute will prepare a questionnaire for the survey which will be measured on a scale of 1 to 10 or from 1 to 7. The survey will include people’s perceptions on issues related to governance and material things to find out their happiness quotient.
The concept of a Happiness Index came about in 2011 when the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network began publishing yearly reports on the world’s happiness.
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan is of the opinion that happiness cannot be measured only with the economic growth rate and material possessions – people also need positivity and inner happiness in their lives.
A department of joy: Anand Vibhag
- The department functions from Paryavas Bhawan, set in the heart of Bhopal.
- Anand Utsavs usually held in January is a rural, mass-based festival in which the villagers participated in various sports activities.
- At government departments, Alpa Viram sessions are conducted to help people find out where their happiness lies and how to work to get that happiness.
- Another scheme run by the department is Anand Sabhas. These sessions are conducted in schools to teach students life skills and differentiate between what’s good and bad.
- The state created an Anand Club, whereby it encouraged people to develop self-help groups in their local communities where skills to live a happy life could be taught and shared among members.
- Anand Calendar makes an effort to enable people stay joyful irrespective of favorable or adverse life situations. Each month of the calendar is dedicated to a domain and its related activities have been listed there.
- Anand Shivirs are also conducted to gauge the happiness level.
Therefore, Madhya Pradesh government is ready to take on the worries of its citizens and bring cheers to the life of common man.